Wednesday 29 August 2012

oars and paddles




dad's home-made Hartley 'trailer-sailer'



I've been working on a number of paintings  lately that are destined

for the galleries for summer exhibitions.

I've been thinking a lot about my own childhood.

we were lucky enough to have a holiday shack....

a pre-fab one room cabin standing literally on the sand, a few metres

above the high tide  mark, some 10km or so out of Geelong on Corio Bay.

my brother, sister and I spent almost every non-school day

just 'messing about' in boats....in the cold, in the sun.

my father built everything out of plywood.....

our cabin, our motorboat, our catamaran, our dinghies.

I've been painting little tackers with oars....

and researching their poses and posture, and wooden oars, plastic oars,

paddles, dinghies and kayaks (you think you know what something

looks like until you need to draw it!)

Tate Smith, Dave Smith, Murray Stewart and Jacob Clear

I cheered watching these Aussies win the Mens K4 1000m

in the London Olympics ,


Mens K4 1000m ....9August, 2012

and I love the fact that these four kayakers all started their paddling careers

as surf lifesavers, and are still active members of their respective Surf Clubs.

these are my little tackers......with their paddles,

 

and oars......all works in progress...





and take a look at this photo from the Sydney Morning Herald,

ah, the synchronicity!



Mens K4 Olympian Gold Medallists  ....(SMH 20 Aug 2012)


   it's as if my little fellows have grown up!!!   

hmmm....maybe I need to start a new series....what do you think?   










                            Jo  :)






.

No comments:

Post a Comment